Welcome to the month of May! The flowers are blooming. The birds are chirping. And if it can stop raining, maybe we can get out and enjoy it!
Here’s the latest:
Last Month’s Meeting – Nebraskaland’s Jenny Nguyen
We had a great meeting last month. Jenny Nguyen provided the group with very informative presentation about some of the sights to be seen in our state recreation areas, as well as how to go about being published in the magazine. A big thanks to Jenny for coming out and to Kathleen Crawford-Rose for coordinating this presentation.
May Meeting – Wetlands Shoot
The plan for our May meeting is to gather by the Wetlands building at 7 pm on Thursday, May 19th for a quick chat followed by an evening of shooting the Wetlands area of Fontenelle Forest. The Wetlands is an excellent location and should provide lots of photographic opportunities including flowers, songbirds, waterfowl, raptors, streams, ponds and more!
We will not reconvene after we begin shooting so members should be aware that the gate to the area closes automatically at 10 pm. So keep an eye on your watch unless you’ve brought your sleeping bag!
Here are a few items you might want to bring along:
- Camera (of course!)
- Any and all types of lenses – there will be opportunities for landscape, birds in flight, long exposure and macro so bring every or any lens you want to use.
- Flash – why would you need flash? There should be plenty of shady spots where you might want to practice using flash to fill the shadows.
- Bug repellant spray – not sure how bad the mosquitoes are yet, but ticks are pretty active now.
- Hiking shoes – trails may be muddy in spots so waterproof boots are your best bet.
- Walking stick – or you can have your monopod double as a walking stick.
Hopefully these May showers will stop long enough for us to get out. But if it looks like we’re getting rained out we’ll meet at our usual meeting place, the main Fontenelle Forest Nature Center. I will post an update on the website if weather looks like it will be an issue, so please check the website blog or call or text me at 402-639-6543.
Here’s a map for those who have never been to the Wetlands. You can click inside the map area and zoom out and in to see more detail.
The Annual Club Photo Contest
There are only a few weeks left before it’s time to submit your photos for our annual club photo contest. We’ve had great participation the last few years and we’re hoping for an even better turnout this year.
The show set up will be on Saturday, May 28th at 10:00 am at the Bellevue University Gallery in the Humanities Building and the awards and critique will also be in the gallery on Thursday June 16th at 7pm.
Once you’ve determined which photos will be entered in the contest, please send a copy to me via the email@example.com e-mail box as we will having our judge, Scott Papek, critiquing the photos as they are projected on screen during the meeting.
For all of the show rules and details, please click on the link below:
Next week is our last meeting before the contest so bring any questions you might have. Also if you are unable to make it to the show set-up, you can bring your entries to the meeting on 5/19 and we can collect them there.
While you are working on your photography this summer, please keep the photo displays in mind. The categories due in September are rows of things and city skylines.
Please remember to add your name, the subject and location on the back of each photo you submit. The photos can be 8×10, 8×12 or 11×14. No mattes or frames please.
Canon Expo & Sale at Rockbrook Camera – 5/12-14
- If you’re in the market for a new Canon camera or want to learn a little about sports photography or using flash, stop by Rockbrook Camera this weekend as they are having their Canon Expo and Sale. Canon reps will be on site to answer questions and they will have a few free seminars as well. Click this link for more info – http://www.rockbrookcamera.com/canon-expo?utm_source=Rockbrook+Camera&utm_campaign=24d41d35bc-5_10_16_Expo_Week_Email_15_9_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_35d778ea15-24d41d35bc-123020377
State Fair Photo Contests
- Iowa State Fair Photography Contest – The Iowa State Fair is accepting entries for their photo context. Entries by mail must be received by 5/23, while those submitting in person must do so on 6/18. Click here for more information. https://www.iowastatefair.org/upl/downloads/competition/premium-books/photography-rules-entry-form-14.pdf
- Nebraska State Fair Photo Contest – Unlike the Iowa State Fair, the Nebraska Fair contest is only open to Nebraska residents. Entries must be submitted in August. For more details, click here. http://www.statefair.org/p/getinvolved/competitions-domestic/284
You can contact me via the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail if you have any questions. Otherwise, we’ll see you all at the Wetlands on 5/19 at 7 pm!
President & Webmaster